Park slope dating
Containing 2,575 buildings stretching over part or all of around 40 city blocks, the historic district is New York's largest landmarked neighborhood.
Early colloquial names for the neighborhood included "Prospect Heights" (later applied to the neighborhood north of Prospect Park), "Prospect Hill", and "Park Hill Side", before residents settled on Park Slope.
From 1879 to 1889, the Brooklyn Atlantics (later to become the Dodgers) played at Washington Park on 5th Avenue between 3rd and 4th Streets.
When the park was destroyed by a fire, the team moved to their part-time home in Ridgewood, Queens and then to a park in East New York.
In the 1850s, a local lawyer and railroad developer named Edwin Clarke Litchfield (1815–1885) purchased large tracts of what was then farmland.By the end of the 1912 season, it was clear that the team had outgrown the field, and the neighborhood.Team owner Charles Ebbets moved the team to his Ebbets Field stadium in Flatbush for the beginning of the 1913 season. One of the airplanes, a Douglas DC-8 operated by United Airlines, was able to stay airborne for a few miles before crashing near the corner of Sterling Place and Seventh Avenue, destroying several buildings including a church.In 1892, President Grover Cleveland presided over the unveiling of the Soldiers' and Sailors' Arch at Grand Army Plaza, a notable Park Slope landmark. Nearby, Old Stone House is a 1930 reconstruction of the Vechte-Cortelyou House which was destroyed in 1897.It is located on Third Street between Fourth and Fifth Avenues, beside the former Gowanus Creek.